Grandparents’ Day 2022: Grandparents’ Day celebrates the bond between children and grandparents and reminds us to uphold communication between different generations. Grandparents are a treasure trove of affection and wisdom in our lives. But we often forget to thank them or spend more time with them despite all that they have done for us. So, why not dedicate a day to them? Grandparents’ Day is the time to cherish the bonds we share with our grandmothers and grandfathers. The day is celebrated each year on the first Sunday after Labour Day. This year it falls on September 12. Let us mark this day by remembering the contribution of our grandparents to our lives. Grandparent’s Day is a suitable time to spend good times with our grandmothers and grandfathers.
Grandparents’ Day 2022: Date
Grandparents’ Day is celebrated every year on the first Sunday after Labour Day, which is also the second Sunday of September. This year, it is being celebrated on September 12, 2022.
Grandparents’ Day: History
The story starts with a 9-year-old boy, Russell Capper, who sent a letter to President Richard Nixon in 1969. The letter, reportedly, asked the president to set aside a day to celebrate the presence of grandparents. In 1977, senators passed a joint resolution to the senate and requested the president to set aside a National Grandparents’ Day. Congress passed the resolution. In 1978, President Jimmy Carter signed the proclamation. The first National Grandparents’ Day was celebrated on September 10, 1978.
Grandparents’ Day 2022: Quotes
1. “A child needs a grandparent, anybody’s grandparent, to grow a little more securely into an unfamiliar world.” – Charles and Ann Morse
2. “Grandparents are there to help the child get into mischief they haven’t thought of yet.” – Gene Perret
3. “What children need most are the essentials that grandparents provide in abundance. They give unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, and lessons in life. And, most importantly, cookies.” – Rudy Giuliani
4. “The reason grandchildren and grandparents get along so well is that they have a common enemy.” – Sam Levenson
5. “You don’t choose your family. They are God’s gift to you, as you are to them.” – Desmond Tutu
6. “A child needs a grandparent, anybody’s grandparent, to grow a little more securely into an unfamiliar world.” – Charles and Ann Morse
7. Nobody can do for little children what grandparents do. Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children.” – Alex Haley
8. “When grandparents enter the door, discipline flies out the window.” – Ogden Nash
9. “If you’re lucky enough to still have grandparents, visit them, cherish them and celebrate them while you can.” – Regina Brett
10. “The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.” – Sam Levenson
Grandparents’ Day 2022: Wishes and Messages
1. Thank you for always being there for me and loving me unconditionally. Happy Grandparents’ Day!
2. Thank you for filling my childhood with so many incredible memories! Happy Grandparents’ Day!
3. Happy Grandparents’ Day! Thank you for creating memories that my heart will hold forever.
4. Happy Grandparents’ Day to my wonderful grandparents, you are a delightful blend of laughter, caring deeds, wonderful stories, and love! I am so blessed to have you in my life.
Grandparents’ Day: Significance
In many families where both parents do regular jobs, grandparents take the reins to look after a child’s growth. They not only look after the child’s physical well-being but also nurture the mental and spiritual growth of a child. However, many children, when growing up, forget to thank their grandparents for their contribution to their growth. Grandparents’ Day is a day to thank them and appreciate their presence. It is also a day to enhance intergenerational communication.